The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
5th December 1915On this day:
- British troops under Seige Turkish and German troops lay siege to the town of Kut al-Amara in the Mesopotamian province of Basra, surrounding Sir Charles Townshend's forces who had been forced to retreat from their advance towards Bagdad.
- Relocation The 6th County of London Brigade RFA less 15th London Battery and one section of Brigade Ammunition Column, moved from this station to Auchel. Units were inspected on the march by the OC. Brigade.
- 5th December 1915 Church Parade
- 12th York & Lancs ordered to Egypt Orders arrive for the Sheffield City Battalion to prepare to move to Egypt and tropical kit was issued.
Sheffield City Battalion - Ralph Gibson & Paul Oldfield
- Relief action E Battery 3rd Brigade RHA
Did a lot of registration on the Moulin D'Eau and Point 3.8. Took over from the battery we had relieved. Their zero line was one that could only be seen in certain lights so decided to make a new base line which entailed a good deal of extra trouble and time wasted.
- 5th Dec 1915 Drill & Inspection
- 5th Dec 1915 Unwell
- 5th Dec 1915 Fine Day
- 5th Dec 1915 Frost Bite.
- 5th Dec 1915 Football
- 5th Dec 1915 Into the Trenches
- 5th December 1915 Church Service
- 5th Dec 1915 Reliefs
- 5th Dec 1915 In No Man's Land
- 5th of December 1915
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:15 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved