The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
5th December 1914On this day:
- 2 Life Guards on route march. The 2nd Life Guards' War Diary, states they are at Eecke. A route march took place. Tactical schemes are being arranged in preparation for further active operations.
- Sheffield City Battalion march to Redmires camp In heavy rain and strong winds, Sheffield City Battalion march from the city to take up residence in the barely completed Redmires Camp. They left the Drill Hall in Edmund Road, with CO on horse back and the battalion band at the head of the column. They marched via Glossop Road to Broomhall and to the camp via Crosshall. The rain turned to sleet and snow as they climbed the hills. The camp was already a familiar place as the battalion had provided nightly work parties for the last weeks of November to assist with completing the huts and bad weather had delayed their arrival from the intended move date of the 1st of December. Some of the huts were still lacking windows when the men moved in and the first night was stormy, icy cold and few men got much sleep.
Sheffield City Battalion - Ralph Gibson & Paul Oldfield
- Leicestershire Yeomanry inspection Squadrons paraded for inspection by General Officer Commanding 7th Cavalry Brigade, parade cancelled owing to wet weather.
War diary of Leicestershire Yeomanry, St Sylvestre
- 5th Dec 1914 Very Wet Day
- 5th Dec 1914 Making the Most of It
- 5th Dec 1914 A Tale of Four Battles
- 5th Dec 1914 Bridge Dismantled
- 5th Dec 1914 Hardly a Row of Houses Left
- 5th December 1914 Limited action due to bad weather
- 5th Dec 1914 Very Wet Day
- 25th Dec 1914 Nice Gifts
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:11 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved