The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
5th August 1917On this day:
- Operational Orders 245 Machine Gun Company
Mercatel and trenches.
Received orders from DMGO that S2,3 and S4 positions are to be taken over on the night of 6/7th August. Gave orders to 2/Lt. GE Barnes to take up remaining 3 guns of No.1 section on the night of 6th inst.
(appendix No.5 letter – DMGO 50th Division.)
Copy of Appx No 5. Letter on relief DMGO 50th Division.
245 MG Coy. to take over new positions S2, S3 and S4 on night 6/7th August 1917.
S.O directly responsible to GOC 151 Inf. Brigade (Right Sector) 5th August 1917.
- 64th Brigade RFA in action near Zillbekke 64th Army Brigade RFA were in action on the 5th August 1917 near Zillebekke near Ypres where they had been from the beginning of August. Albert Phillips was awarded the Military Medal for actions this day.
- 15th Hampshires at Hollebeke. 15th Hampshires were at Hollebeke.
- 5th August 1917 Church Parade and Medal Ceremony
- 5th Aug 1917 SOS Targets
- 5th Aug 1917 Church Parade
- 5th Aug 1917 Reinforcements
- 5th Aug 1917 Church Parade & Training
- 5th Aug 1917 In Bivouacs
- 5th Aug 1917 Shelling
- 5th Aug 1917 Holding the Line
- 5th Aug 1917 On the Move
- 5th of August 1917 In Brandhoek
- 5th of August 1917 Wine tasting
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:14 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved