The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
4th September 1917On this day:
- Daily Activity 9th (Service) Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers (K2)
later (from 25th Sep.1917) 9th Bn (North Irish Horse) Royal Irish Fusiliers.
Working parties as usual.
- Gotha Night raids Encouraged by the lack of night defences, a raid on London was carried out the following night. Of the eleven aircraft which set out, nine reached England and only five got as far as London. Although 18 defensive sorties were flown, none made contact. Although unsuccessful, these flights are significant in that the aircraft used included Camels, proving that it was practical to fly that type at night. One Gotha failed to return, probably downed by anti-aircraft fire from Fort Borstal near Rochester.
- 7th Staffords in action This day saw the 7th Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment participating in the Battle of Broodseinde, reaching Poelcappelle. 42 men of the regiment are killed.
- 4th September 1917 Training and inspections
- 4th Sep 1917 Training
- IN THE LINE L4 MERICOURT SECTOR
About 4.5pm one of our own NIEUPORTS brought down an enemy plane just behind TEDDIE GERRARD the plane crashed and burst into flame on impact. Pilot and observer were buried on the spot, CSM CURREY wounded whilst burying them. 3rd CANADIAN Div commenced to take over. 2nd & 4th CMR relieved 15th & 16th WYR in support and reserve respectively. This relief was complete by 10.30pm and relieved units were able to get clear before gas bombardment began.
- 4th Sep 1917 On the Move
- 4th Sep 1917 Air Raids
- 4th Sep 1917 In Reserve
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:9 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved