The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
4th May 1916On this day:
- Inspections E Battery 3rd Brigade RHA
4th May - 11 Remounts joined.
19th May - Parade for GOC 2nd Cavalry Division in the training area.
20th May - 2nd Lt R Gough (attached) left the battery on appointment as temp. ADC to General Gough (Reserve Corps).
- Enemy artillery concentrated on the Monchy salient On the morning, May 4th 1916, the enemy started a heavy artillery bombardment concentrated on the Monchy salient and then lifted as the infantry attacked.
- 124th Heavy Battery to 29th HAG 124th Heavy Battery, RGA transfer to 29th Heavy Artillery Group on 4 May 1916
- Quiet Day 6th County of London Brigade RFA at
Carency report the day passed off fairly quietly with very little shelling taking place.
In the evening the infantry had a little difficulty with the enemy in the middle crater.
2nd Lt Van Auger 2/6th Lon Field Artillery Brigade reported and was attached to 16th London Battery.
- Wearside Pals embark for France The 20th DLI entrain at Farnborough and embark on SS Arundal at Southampton
- 4th May 1916 Training courses
- 4th May 1916 Searches Continue
- 4th May 1916 Practice Shoots
- 4th May 1916 Draft Arrives
- 4th May 1916 Drill
- 4th May 1916 Training
- 4th May 1916 Military Service Bill
- 4th May 1916 Official British Account
- 4th May 1916 Training
- 4th May 1916
- 7th Inniskillings into the line The 7th Btn Inniskilling Fusiliers relieved 8th KOSB in 10th Avenue over the night of the 4-5th May 1916. Moved to Noeux-les-Mines for 8 days rest
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:16 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved