The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
4th July 1916On this day:
- 4th Jul 1916 In Action
- All Quiet 236th London Brigade Royal Field Artillery report from
Aix-Noulette the enemy was active in the Angres Setor this morning with trench mortars, otherwise all quiet.
- U-Boat Index - WW1 SM U-50
Type U 43
Shipyard Kaiserliche Werft, Danzig (Werk 28)
Ordered 4 Aug 1914
Launched 31 Dec 1915
Commissioned 4 Jul 1916
4 Jul 1916 - 31 Aug 1917 Gerhard Berger
Career 5 patrols.
30 Aug 1916 - 31 Aug 1917 III Flotilla
Successes 27 ships sunk with a total of 92,924 tons.
- 10 Nov 1916 U 50 Gerhard Berger Bogota 4,577 br
- 11 Nov 1916 U 50 Gerhard Berger Løkken 1,954 nw
- 11 Nov 1916 U 50 Gerhard Berger Morazan 3,486 br
- 11 Nov 1916 U 50 Gerhard Berger Sarah Radcliffe 3,333 br
- 12 Nov 1916 U 50 Gerhard Berger San Giovanni 1,315 it
- 12 Nov 1916 U 50 Gerhard Berger Stylinai Bebis 3,603 gr
- 12 Nov 1916 U 50 Gerhard Berger Ioannis 3,828 gr
- 13 Nov 1916 U 50 Gerhard Berger Lela 2,987 it
- 14 Nov 1916 U 50 Gerhard Berger Hatsuse 282 br
- 18 Feb 1917 U 50 Gerhard Berger Jean Pierre 449 fr
- 22 Feb 1917 U 50 Gerhard Berger Blenheim 1,144 nw
- 24 Feb 1917 U 50 Gerhard Berger Falcon 2,244 br
- 25 Feb 1917 U 50 Gerhard Berger Aries 3,071 br
- 25 Feb 1917 U 50 Gerhard Berger Huntsman 7,460 br
- 25 Feb 1917 U 50 Gerhard Berger Laconia 18,099 br
- 11 Apr 1917 U 50 Gerhard Berger Sarvsfos 1,462 nw
- 19 Apr 1917 U 50 Gerhard Berger Avocet 1,219 br
- 20 Apr 1917 U 50 Gerhard Berger Emma 2,520 br
- 21 Apr 1917 U 50 Gerhard Berger Diadem 4,307 br
- 23 Apr 1917 U 50 Gerhard Berger Dykland 4,291 br
- 23 Apr 1917 U 50 Gerhard Berger Oswald 5,185 br
- 25 Apr 1917 U 50 Gerhard Berger Swanmore 6,373 br
- 7 Jun 1917 U 50 Gerhard Berger Yuba 1,458 nw
- 11 Jun 1917 U 50 Gerhard Berger Sigrun 2,538 nw
- 16 Jun 1917 U 50 Gerhard Berger Carrie Hervey 111 br
- 21 Jun 1917 U 50 Gerhard Berger Ortona 5,524 br
- 26 Jun 1917 U 50 Gerhard Berger Vonin 104 da
Fate 31 Aug 1917 - Sunk probably from a mine off Terschelling on or after 31st August 1917. Casualties: 44 dead (all hands lost).
There was another U 50 in World War Two.
That boat was launched from its shipyard on 1 Nov 1939 and commissioned into the Kriegsmarine on 12 Dec 1939.
- 4th July 1916 3rd Canadian Tunnelling Coy War Diary
- 4th July 1916 Battlefield clearing party to Fricourt
- 4th July 1916 Escort change passing Malta
- 4th Jul 1916 Bombardment Continues
- 4th Jul 1916 Very Hot Day
- FRONT LINE.
Taken from Appendix 1 18 DLI Battle of SERRE.
0200. Ration party from BUS and ---- ordered to remain in MONK as reinforcements in view of information above.
0400. Red rockets went up & LG & MG opened by a unit on our right.
0403.Hostile artillery open w. Fd Guns & MG chiefly barraging our front line & then lifting quickly to MONK, chiefly shrapnel some HE.
0410. 18th Btn asked for retaliation on GERMAN trench between WARLEY and DELAUNAY. Bde report Gas on 94th Bde area on our left.
0423. Our guns open retaliation effectively.
0430. No signs of gas, hostile fire weakening.
0435. Front line reports all correct, two casualties, hostile guns practically ceased fire.
0508. All quiet.
0530. Stand down. N.B. Enemy before opening artillery fire put up red rockets, on sending up green rockets fire ceased.
0630. Lt TAIT D Co found wounded in OLD MONK & brought back.
1100. Bde Instructions. 31 Div. to go into CORPS reserve & move to BERNAVILLE area joining II Corps & coming into GHQ reserve. 93 Bde to be relieved by 144th Bde night of 4-5/7/16 & move to LOUVENCOURT and thence 6.7.17 to BERNAVILLE area.
2200. Relief of 18th Btn by WORCESTERS. HQ moves 10.5pm to LOUVENCOURT.
2200. 18th DLI relieved by WORCESTER REGT and moved to LOUVENCOURT.
- 4th Jul 1916 Reorganisation
- 4th Jul 1916 Trench Raid
- 4th Jul 1916 Raid Planned
- 4th Jul 1916 Reliefs
- 4th Jul 1916 Resting
- 4th Jul 1916 In Action
- 4th July 1916 Rain
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:16 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Remembering those who died this day. Pte. George Bond. Durham Light Infantry 15th Btn. Read their Story. 2nd Lieut Lewis John Dalgliesh Butt. The Rifle Brigade 16th (Service) Bn. Read their Story. Pte. Fred Cummings. South Lancashire Regiment 6th Btn. Read their Story. Pte. William Easton. Gordon Highlanders 8th/10th Btn. Read their Story. Pte. Ralph Glasgow. Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders 10th Bn. Lt. Arthur Blackwood Gowan. Royal Engineers 1st/3rd Durham Field Company Read their Story. L/Cpl. Robert McChesney. Northumberland Fusiliers Tyneside Scottish Read their Story. L/Cpl. Robert McChesney. Northumberland Fusiliers 22nd (Tyneside Scottish) Btn. Read their Story. Pte. David McDowell. Northumberland Fusiliers 27th (Tyneside Irish) Bn., Read their Story. Pte. Patrick McManus. Royal Munster Fusiliers Pte. George Ernest Musgrove. Northumberland Fusiliers 14th Btn Read their Story. Rifleman William James Summers. 17th Battalion Read their Story. Pte. Alfred Augustus Webb. Cheshire Regiment 11th Battalion, D Company
Add a name to this list.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved