The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
4th August 1917On this day:
- movements 245 Machine Gun Company
Mercatel and trenches.
Sent up 2 gun teams under 2/Lt. Wheatley from No.3 Section to relieve S8 and S9 at 2300.
- U-Boat Index - WW1 KUK U-40 Austrian Submarine
Launched 21st April 1917
Commissioned 4th August 1917
4 Aug 1917 - 18 Sep 1918 Johann Krsnjavi
19 Sep 1918 - 31 Oct 1918 Wladimir Pfeifer
No flotilla information available
Successes 2 ships sunk with a total of 7,556 tons.
3 ships damaged with a total of 14,112 tons.
- 19 Aug 1917 k.u.k. U40 Johann Krsnjavi Gartness 2,422 br
- 29 Aug 1917 k.u.k. U40 Johann Krsnjavi Clifftower (damaged) 3,509 br
- 1 Jan 1918 k.u.k. U40 Johann Krsnjavi Sandon Hall 5,134 br
- 20 Mar 1918 k.u.k. U40 Johann Krsnjavi Lord Ormonde (damaged) 3,914 ca
- 23 Mar 1918 k.u.k. u40 Johann Krsnjavi Demodocus (damaged) 6,689 br
Fate Scrapped in 1920.
- 4th August 1917 Inspections
- 4th Aug 1917 SBR's Tested
- 4th Aug 1917 In Action
- 4th Aug 1917 Fourth Year of War
- 4th Aug 1917 Training & Baths
- 4th Aug 1917 Reliefs
- 4th Aug 1917 Training
- 4th Aug 1917 Holding the Line
- 4th of August 1917 Parade & March
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:11 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved