The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
4th August 1915On this day:
- Staff Training 6th County of London Brigade RFA report an examination took place of a class of 20 recruit signalers, undergoing a three month course of instruction.
This is the end of the first month's examination.
- 4th August 1915 9th Lancers training
- U-Boat Index - WW1
Type U 66
Shipyard Germaniawerft, Kiel (Werk 204)
Ordered 2 Feb 1913
Laid down 1 Nov 1913
Launched 15 May 1915
Commissioned 4 Aug 1915
4 Aug 1915 - 15 Mar 1916 Erich von Rosenberg-Grusczyski.
16 Mar 1916 - 14 Dec 1917 Hans Nieland.
15 Dec 1917 - 15 Sep 1918 Helmuth von Rabenau
Career 13 patrols.
28 Oct 1915 - 11 Nov 1918 IV Flotilla
Successes 17 ships sunk with a total of 39,694 tons.
3 ships damaged with a total of 14,766 tons.
- 16 Apr 1916 U 67 Hans Nieland Cardonia 2,169 br
- 20 Apr 1916 U 67 Hans Nieland Whitgift 4,397 br
- 22 Apr 1916 U 67 Hans Nieland Chanaral 2,423 fr
- 28 Jan 1917 U 67 Hans Nieland Daisy 1,227 da
- 29 Jan 1917 U 67 Hans Nieland Punta Teno 1,042 sp
- 1 Feb 1917 U 67 Hans Nieland Butron 2,434 sp
- 2 Feb 1917 U 67 Hans Nieland Elikon 1,166 gr
- 5 Feb 1917 U 67 Hans Nieland Lorton 1,419 pe
- 19 Feb 1917 U 67 Hans Nieland Headley 4,953 br
- 17 Apr 1917 U 67 Hans Nieland Kish 4,928 br
- 18 Apr 1917 U 67 Hans Nieland Rhydwen 4,799 br
- 20 Apr 1917 U 67 Hans Nieland Portloe 3,187 br
- 28 Apr 1917 U 67 Hans Nieland Port Jackson 2,309 br
- 19 Jul 1917 U 67 Hans Nieland Harrildsborg 1,547 da
- 24 Jul 1917 U 67 Hans Nieland Viking 873 sw
- 28 Jul 1917 U 67 Hans Nieland Rigmor 798 da
- 15 Sep 1917 U 67 Hans Nieland Idomeneus (damaged) 6,692 br
- 21 Nov 1917 U 67 Hans Nieland Breynton (damaged) 4,240 br
- 22 Nov 1917 U 67 Hans Nieland Redbridge (damaged) 3,834 br
- 27 Nov 1917 U 67 Hans Nieland Premier 23 br
Fate 20 Nov 1918 - Surrendered. Broken up at Fareham in 1921.
There was another U 67 in World War Two.
That boat was launched from its shipyard on 30 Oct 1940 and commissioned into the Kriegsmarine on 22 Jan 1941.
- E Battery 3rd Brigade RHA
In reserve near Noordpeene.
Lieutenant OS Lund left on promotion to 3rd Infantry Division.
- 4th Aug 1915 Innoculations
- 4th Aug 1915 Ship Sunk
- 4th Aug 1915 Fishing Smacks Sunk
- 4th Aug 1915 Submarine Lost
- 4th Aug 1915 Companies under instruction
- 4th Aug 1915 On the Move
- 4th Aug 1915 Inspections
- 4th Aug 1915 Inspection
- 4th Aug 1915 Grenadiers
- 4th Aug 1915 Reliefs
- 4th Aug 1915 Mine Exploded
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:15 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved