The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
3rd March 1917On this day:
- Enemy Movements 236th London Brigade Royal Field Artillery report
Probable enemy relief discovered to be taking place tonight so Batteries fired from 2100 until midnight, about one hundred and twenty rounds each.
No retaliation was received.
- U-Boat Index - WW1 SM U-94
Type U 93
Shipyard Germaniawerft, Kiel (Werk 258)
Ordered 15 Sep 1915
Laid down 25 Mar 1916
Launched 5 Jan 1917
Commissioned 3 Mar 1917
3 Mar 1917 - 24 Mar 1918 Alfred Saalwächter.
25 Mar 1918 - 11 Nov 1918 Oblt. Martin Schwab
Career 13 patrols.
20 Apr 1917 - 11 Nov 1918 IV Flotilla
Successes 21 ships sunk with a total of 61,881 tons.
3 ships damaged with a total of 19,326 tons.
- 9 Jun 1917 U 94 Alfred Saalwächter Deveron 1,261 nw
- 11 Jun 1917 U 94 Alfred Saalwächter Thessaly (damaged) 4,310 br
- 12 Jun 1917 U 94 Alfred Saalwächter Amakura 2,316 br
- 13 Jun 1917 U 94 Alfred Saalwächter Cederic 2,344 nw
- 20 Jun 1917 U 94 Alfred Saalwächter Salvia (hms) 1,250 br
- 24 Jun 1917 U 94 Alfred Saalwächter Sylvanian 4,858 br
- 26 Jun 1917 U 94 Alfred Saalwächter Haverford (damaged) 11,635 br
- 29 Jul 1917 U 94 Alfred Saalwächter Ingeborg 1,207 da
- 29 Jul 1917 U 94 Alfred Saalwächter Adalia 3,847 br
- 30 Jul 1917 U 94 Alfred Saalwächter Kildin 1,640 ru
- 30 Jul 1917 U 94 Alfred Saalwächter Manchester Inventor 4,112 br
- 30 Jul 1917 U 94 Alfred Saalwächter Souma 2,200 ru
- 6 Aug 1917 U 94 Alfred Saalwächter Argalia 4,641 br
- 12 Aug 1917 U 94 Alfred Saalwächter Lynorta 3,684 br
- 16 Aug 1917 U 94 Alfred Saalwächter Svanholm 1,400 da
- 19 Sep 1917 U 94 Alfred Saalwächter Hydra 174 da
- 24 Sep 1917 U 94 Alfred Saalwächter Petersham (damaged) 3,381 br
- 15 Dec 1917 U 94 Alfred Saalwächter Bernard 3,682 br
- 16 Dec 1917 U 94 Alfred Saalwächter Bristol City 2,511 br
- 19 Feb 1918 U 94 Alfred Saalwächter Barrowmore 3,832 br
- 26 Feb 1918 U 94 Alfred Saalwächter Snyg 370 nw
- 2 Mar 1918 U 94 Alfred Saalwächter Rockpool 4,502 br
- 18 May 1918 U 94 Martin Schwab Hurunui 10,644 br
- 25 May 1918 U 94 Martin Schwab Saphir 1,406 nw
Fate 20 Nov 1918 - Surrendered. Broken up at Bo'ness in 1919-20.
There was another U 94 in World War Two.
That boat was launched from its shipyard on 12 Jun 1940 and commissioned into the Kriegsmarine on 10 Aug 1940.
- 2/6th Suffolks in India On the 3rd March 1917 the 2/6th (Cyclist) Battalion Royakl Suffolk Regiment are in India, where it remained until the end of the war. It is known that the Battalion was also in Ireland before going to India but no dates are given. The only clue is that the Commanding Officer's Summary dated 1st October 1915 says: " . . . the Battalion will be ready for Imperial Service after the supply of about 25 Imperial Service men." This may not be conclusive as the Territorial Force was not liable for service overseas and battalions had to declare when they were able to take on the commitment.
- 3rd March 1917 routine and interviews
- 1ST GERMAN LINE
7.25am. Patrol under Sgt REAY forced entry into 1st GARDE STELLUNG via LEHMANN GRABEN and shortly afterwards another platoon of D Co got into BECKER GRABEN. These joined hands but could make little progress S.E. Attempts were made to enter 1st GARDE STELLUNG by PIONEER and SCHWEICKERT GRABEN both held up by trench blocks and matters were at a standstill until 4.30pm.
4.30 - 5.10pm. Bombardment by heavies and barrage following which 1st GARDE STELLUNG was rushed 25 prisoners, 2 MG’s and 2 LG’s captured and small counter attack resisted.
5.30pm onwards. Consolidation and rearrangement of forces preparatory to relief.
- 3rd Mar 1917 Football Matchs
- 3rd Mar 1917 On the Move
- 3rd Mar 1917 Working Parties
- 3rd Mar 1917 On the March
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:9 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved