The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
3rd March 1916On this day:
- 16th Northumberland Fusilers C Coy in front line C Coy, 16th Northumberlands take over trenches 144-146 from 4th Battalion, Duke of Wellingtons.
records of the 16th (service) battalion northumberland fusiliers captain ch cooke mc, newcastle upon tyne 1923
- Q Class Zeppelin L22 takes to the air. Zeppelin LZ64 (L22), Production Ref: LZ64 Q Class, has its first flight on the 3rd of March 1916
L22 carried out 30 reconnaissance missions and 8 attacks on Britain, dropping a total of 9,215 kilograms (20,316 lb) of bombs.
It was destroyed by RNAS Curtis H12 flying boat flown by Flight Commander Robert Leckie (later Air Vice Marshal) near Terschelling on the 14th May 1917 during a reconnaissance mission. (Leckie was also credited with the downing of LZ112 (L70)).
- 225 Field Coy Royal Engineers proceed to France 225 Field Company RE sailed from Southampton on the City of Benares on the 3rd of March 1916, arriving at Le Havre the next day.
- 14th Hants in action 14th. Hants as part of the 116th Brigade, attacked the German defences at Beaumomt Hamel.
- 3rd Mar 1916 Zig Zag Course
- In the evening five grooms proceeded with the horses from Kantara for Alexandria to proceed to France.
The National Archives Reference WO95/2361/1
- 3rd Mar 1916 In Action
- 3rd Mar 1916 On the Move
- 3rd Mar 1916 Reliefs
- 3rd of March 1916 In Trenches
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:10 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved