The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
3rd June 1915On this day:
- Registration Continues 6th County of London Brigade RFA report registration continues. 12 rounds were fired at A.30.b.4.8 and later 2 rounds at the same registration. The 16th London Battery fired 24 rounds in completing its registration. During the afternoon the enemy shelled the British front line trenches, when according to orders, this Brigade replied with 2 shells for every one German shell. In this way the 16th London Battery fired 34 rounds at the Bus Carre, a small clump of saps about 100 yards in front of the German front line trenches, probably used as an observation station. The 17th London Battery registered further points in its zone, G.11.d.5.7, G.17.g.2.4 and G.17.e.0.1.
Tonight the British attacked Givenchy, when in spite of successful artillery fire they were repulsed from the positions gained by Minenwerfer. Owing to the exposed nature of the country, exercise for horses may only take place in batches of 16 or 17.
- 3rd June 1915 9th Lancers train
- Return of Lt. Ford Lt. Ford rejoined from the 1/ Cameronians on Lt. Robertson returning from leave.
- 3rd Jun 1915 19th Seige Bty RGA under fire
- 3rd Jun 1915 Behind the lines
- 3rd Jun 1915 Enemy too strong
- 3rd Jun 1915 2/8th Worcesters beat 2/4th Gloucesters at cricket
- 3rd Jun 1915 New Aircraft in Action
- 3rd Jun 1915 5th Lincs Relieve 4th Leics
- 3rd Jun 1915 Shell Failed to Explode
- 3rd Jun 1915 Inspection
- 3rd Jun 1915 Under Shellfire
- 3rd Jun 1915 Enemy Mines
- 3rd Jun 1915 In Billets
- 3rd June 1915 Instruction
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:15 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved