The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
2nd May 1916On this day:
- 2nd May 1915 Hospital set Alight
- 10th Loyals return to action The 10th Battalion, Loyal North Lancashires, took up position in reserve at Bienvillers, with two companies of men moving forward in support of the the 6th Battalion Bedfordshire Regiment who were man strong-points on the Hannescamps-Mochy road and in the support line behind the Monchy salient.
- Report of a Mine 6th County of London Brigade RFA at
Lt Col Lowe DSO Commanding the 6th London Field Artillery Brigade, Capt Edwards Veterinary Officer and Lt Woollett 6th London Brigade Ammunition Column proceeded on 7 days leave of absence to England, the former on ten days leave.
At 1945 all artillery opened fire after the Centre Battalion reported a mine going up. This report proved to be false and the Batteries stopped firing.
Major Gordon DSO 16th London Battery assumed command of the Right Group.
- Airfield at York Racecourse bombed On 2 May 1916 Zeppelin airships raided York, bombing the airfield at York racecourse. As a result the Aerodrome was closed and A Flight, 33 Squadron moved thier BE 2c and BE 2d aircraft to RFC Bramham Moor to join B & C Flights, flying from there in the air defence of Leeds, Sheffield and York.
- 2nd May 1916 3rd Canadian Tunnelling Coy War Diary
- 2nd May 1916 Recreation and drill
- 2nd May 1916 Arests Made
- 2nd May 1916 On Stand by
- 2nd May 1916 Training and Route March
- 2nd May 1916 In Billets
- 2nd May 1916 Training
- 2nd May 1916 Secret order received
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:12 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved