The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
2nd March 1916On this day:
- 2nd Royal Fusiliers leave Suez The 2nd Royal Fusilers embarked from Port Jewfick aboard the Alaunia, sailing through the Canel to Port Said.
- 7th Inniskillings under instruction in the line 7th Inniskillings are at Philosophe West, on the line under instruction from more experienced Scottish soldiers.
- 12th Btn KOYLI sail from Port Said 12th Btn Kings Oown Yorkshire Light Infantry leave Port Said on the 2nd of March 1916 onboard the LLandovery Castle.
- 2nd Mar 1916 Objective Captured
- 2nd Mar 1916 7th Northumberlands into Trenches
- 2nd Mar 1916 Treated as an Honoured Guest
- 2nd Mar 1916 Attack made
- 2nd Mar 1916 On the Move
- On the Move At 8.20am 18th Battalion DLI departed from Kantara for Port Said.
- 2nd Mar 1916 Artillery In Action
- 2nd Mar 1916 Attack Made
- 2nd Mar 1916 On the Move
- 2nd Mar 1916 Success
- 8th Manchesters arrive in France 8th Manchesters land at Marseilles having sailed form Egypt and entrain for the Western Front.
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:14 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Remembering those who died this day. Pte. John Booth. Northumberland Fusiliers 26th (Tyneside Irish) Btn. Pte. Alfred Marshall Chapman. West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own) 1st Btn Read their Story. Sgt. David Hynd Hart. DCM. Gordon Highlanders 1st Btn. Read their Story. Pte. Gordon Hornby. Royal Welch Fusiliers 10th Btn. Read their Story. Pte. Arthur Ernest Jones. Kings Own (Royal Lancasters) Regiment 8th Btn. Pte. Hugh Macdonald Mees. Highland Light Infantry 18th Battalion Read their Story. Sgt. William "Willie" Stevenson. Gordon Highlanders 1st Btn Read their Story. Pte. Thomas Henry Wellard. Royal Fusiliers 8th Btn.
Add a name to this list.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved