The Wartime Memories Project - The Great War - Day by Day
2nd December 1915On this day:
- Kent Cyclists move to Chisledon On the 2nd of December 1915 the 1st/1st Kent Cyclist Battalion left the Kent and Sussex coastal defences at Swale, Rye and on the Medway, to move to Chisledon Camp near Swindon and was reorganised as an infantry battalion to prepare for service in East Africa.
- Daily Battery Activity The 6th County of London Brigade RFA was relieved by the 7th Brigade RFA. The 15th London Battery took over the position and the guns of the 16th London Battery. The 16th London Battery (with the guns of the 14th London Battery, which had been used by the 15th London Battery) and 17th London Battery (with the guns of 12th London Battery), together with Brigade Headquarters, proceeded to Noeux les Mines, where they stayed for the night.
- Queens Parade at Aldershot 7th Inniskilling Fusiliers are amongst troops taking part in the Queens Parade at Aldershot, the inspection was by The Queen.
- 2nd December 1915 9th Lancers attend Gas Demonstration
- Half of Sheffield City Battalion on leave The War Diary of the Sheffield City Battalion records that the order to prepare to proceed to France has been withdrawn and half the battalion was given leave, until late evening on the 3rd. The other half was on leave from the morning of the 4th until late evening on the 5th.
Sheffield City Battalion - Ralph Gibson & Paul Oldfield
- Continued Action E Battery 3rd Brigade RHA
Brigade Commander to Observation Point with Captain Selby and examined the zone. The three remaining guns came into action in the evening. In the morning registered the left section.
- 2nd Dec 1915 Public School's Trench Instruction
- 2nd Dec 1915 Medical Inspections
- 2nd Dec 1915 Cheery Letters
- 2nd Dec 1915 Baths
- 2nd Dec 1915 Specialist Training
- 2nd Dec 1915 Working Parties
- 2nd Dec 1915 Reinforcements
- 2nd Dec 1915 In the Trenches
Can you add to this factual information? Do you know the whereabouts of a unit on a particular day? Do you have a copy of an official war diary entry? Details of an an incident? The loss of a ship? A letter, postcard, photo or any other interesting snipts?
If your information relates only to an individual, eg. enlistment, award of a medal or death, please use this form: Add a story.
Want to know more?
There are:14 articles tagged with this date available in our Library These include information on officers service records, letters, diaries, personal accounts and information about actions during the Great War.
Remembering those who died this day. Pte. Edmund Dewett. South Lancashire Rgt. 6th Btn. Pte Robert Smith. Northumberland Fusiliers 13th Btn
Add a name to this list.
Items from the Home Front Archive
Do you have any letters, photos, postcards, documents or memorabilia from the Great War? We would love to include copies. Please use this form to submit diary entries and letters or photographs for this new Section: add to this archive.
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors.
The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small
to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
The Wartime Memories Project Website
is archived for preservation by the British Library
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved