You are not logged in.
Zeppelin LZ72 (L31) in the Great War - The Wartime Memories Project -

The Wartime Memories Project

- Zeppelin LZ72 (L31) during the Great War -

Great War>War in the Air
skip to content

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you agree to accept cookies.

If you enjoy this site please consider making a donation.

    Site Home

    Great War


    Add Stories & Photos


    Allied Army

    Day by Day

    War in the Air

    Prisoners of War

    The Royal Navy

    Training for War

    The Battles

    Those Who Served


    Civilian Service

    Women at War

    Life on Home Front

    Central Powers Army

    Central Powers' Navy


    World War Two


    Add Stories & Photos

    Time Capsule


    Help & FAQ's

    Our Facebook Page




    Contact us

    Great War Books



World War 1 One ww1 wwII greatwar great

Zeppelin LZ72 (L31)

 Zeppelin L31  The first flight of Zeppelin L31 took place on the 12th of July 1916 She was an R Class craft built under Production Code LZ72. L31 took part in an important reconnaissance mission in fleet operation against Sunderland. She made six attacks on England dropping a total of 19,411 kilograms (42,794 lb) of bombs along with L32, L 33 and L34 in a Zeppelin raid on night of 23 September 1916. L31 was intercepted and destroyed by British fighter pilot Lt V Tempest on the 2nd of October 1916 near Potters Bar, North of London. L31 was commanded by the leading airship commander of the time, Kapitän Leutnant Heinrich Mathy, who died with his entire crew after jumping from the flaming Zeppelin.

12th July 1916 LZ72 (L31)  Zeppelin LZ72(L31)

  • Production Ref: LZ72
  • Class type: R
  • Tactical Ref: L31
  • Usage: Military.
  • First Flight: 12th July 1916


One important reconnaissance mission in fleet operation against Sunderland; 6 attacks on England dropping a total of 19,411 kilograms (42,794 lb) of bombs; with L 32, L 33 and L 34 part of Zeppelin raid on night of 23 September 1916; intercepted and destroyed by British fighter pilot Lt V Tempest on 2 October 1916 near Potters Bar, north of London, while commanded by the leading airship commander of the time, Kapitän Leutnant Heinrich Mathy, who died with his entire crew after jumping from the flaming Zeppelin.

24th August 1916 Zeppelin raid on London  24/25th August 1916.

The sixth successful London raid was on 24–25 August when 13 Navy Zeppelins were launched and Heinrich Mathy's L 31 reached London. Flying above low clouds, 36 bombs were dropped in 10 minutes on West Ferry Road, Deptford Dry Dock, the station at Norway Street and homes in Greenwich, Eltham and Plumstead. Nine people were killed, 40 injured and £130,203 of damage was caused.

L 31 suffered no damage in the attack but several weeks of repair-work were needed following a hard landing.

23rd September 1916 Zeppelin Raids on Britain  23/24 September 1916

The German Navy remained aggressive and a 12-Zeppelin raid was launched on 23–24 September 1916. Eight older airships bombed targets in the Midlands and Northeast, while four M-class Zeppelins (L 30, L 31, L 32, and L 33) attacked London. L 30 did not even cross the coast, dropping its bombs at sea. L 31 approached London from the south, dropped a few bombs on Kenley and Mitcham and was picked up by searchlights. Forty-one bombs were then dropped in rapid succession over Streatham, killing seven and wounding 27. More bombs were dropped on Brixton before crossing the river and dropping 10 bombs on Leyton, killing another eight people and injuring 30. L 31 then headed home.

Also coming in from the south was L 32, delayed by engine problems, it dropped a few bombs on Sevenoaks and Swanley before crossing Purfleet at about 0100. The Zeppelin then came under anti-aircraft fire as it dropped bombs on Aveley and South Ockendon. Shortly thereafter, at 0110, a BE2c piloted by 2nd Lieutenant Frederick Sowrey engaged L 32. He fired three drums of incendiaries and succeeded in starting a fire which quickly spread to the entire airship. The Zeppelin came down at Snail's Hall Farm, Great Burstead. The entire crew was killed, with some, including the commander Oberleutnant-zur-See Werner Peterson, choosing to jump rather than burn to death.

L 33 dropped a few incendiaries over Upminster before losing its way and making several turns, heading over London and dropping bombs on Bromley at around midnight. As the bombs began to explode, the Zeppelin was hit by an anti-aircraft shell fired from the guns at either Beckton, Wanstead, or Victoria Park despite being at 13,000 feet (4,000 m). Dropping bombs now to shed weight, a large number fell on homes in Botolph Road and Bow Road. As the airship headed towards Chelmsford it continued to lose height, coming under fire at Kelvedon Hatch and briefly exchanging fire with a BE2c. Despite the efforts of the crew, L 33 was forced to the ground at around 0115 in a field close to New Hall Cottages, Little Wigborough. The airship was set alight and the crew headed south before being arrested at Peldon by the police. Inspection of the wreckage provided the British with much information about the construction of Zeppelins, which was used in the design of the British R33-class airships. One 250 hp (190 kW) engine recovered from the wreck was subsequently substituted for two (of four) 180 hp (130 kW) engines on a Vickers-built machine, the hitherto underpowered R.9.

1st Oct 1916 Zeppelin raid on London  

Zeppelin L31 at night

Report on final mission of LZ72(L31)

On the afternoon of Sunday 1st of October 1916, LZ72 known as L31 was part of an eleven Zeppelin formation that took off from their North German bases on a bombing raid against Britain. It was to be L31’s final mission.

Commanded by the 33-year-old airship ace Heinrich Mathy, it was one of a new generation of super-Zeppelins designed to counter the increasingly sophisticated British air-defences. A master navigator and aerial tactician, Mathy was a veteran of numerous raids, during which he had acquired a reputation for cool determination and daring. But something of the old confidence had gone. He was the sole survivor among a core group of veteran commanders in this highly specialised service. The tight-knit military elite of which he was the leading representative had recently been shaken by serious losses.

When history’s first strategic bombing campaign had begun early in 1915, the giant airships had come and gone with impunity. Later, there had been occasional losses to accidents and enemy fire. Then, suddenly, just a week before, on the night of 23-24 September, two of the new super-Zeppelins had been shot down. One of them had turned into a raging fireball which plunged to earth killing all on board. The horror had been visible to the rest of the airship fleet strung out across the skies over southern Britain. The event had shattered the nerves of the German airship crews, and many were showing signs of combat fatigue.

Among Mathy’s crew, the mess-room mood was sombre. There was much talk about the losses and the crew slept uneasily, haunted by bad dreams and visions of falling airships. Even Mathy was on edge, - alhough he tried to behave as normal, his men noticed the change. His appearance more serious with his features more sharply and deeply engraved on his face. Iin the privacy of his quarters, he confessed his fears in a letter to his young wife, at home nursing a new baby: ‘Peterson is dead, Böcker a prisoner. Hertha, the war is becoming a serious matter… During these days, when you lay our little daughter down to sleep, a good angel will see you and will read what is in your heart, and he will hasten to guard my ship against the dangers which throng the air everywhere about her.’ But a week later, he was dead.

Mathy’s airship was a giant cigar-shaped cylinder of gas bubbles filled with highly flammable hydrogen. It flew only because it was lighter than air. A huge lightweight framework of duralumin girders and steel wires supported a row of 19 gas-bags made of animal membrane, cotton fabric, and glue, which, when inflated, contained two million cubic feet of gas and filled almost the entire internal space. Stretched over the exterior of the framework was an envelope of light cotton fabric, coated in dope, laced together, and pulled taut. The keel of the duralumin framework formed a gangway running the length of the ship, and here were stowed water-ballast sacks, petrol tanks, and bomb racks. Slung beneath the keel were the forward control gondola and three engine gondolas, a large one towards the rear, two smaller ones amidships.

[Note: duralumin is an alloy of aluminum (over 90%) with copper (about 4%), magnesium (0.5%–1%), and manganese (less than l%). Before a final heat treatment the alloy is ductile and malleable; after heat treatment a reaction between the aluminum and magnesium produces increased hardness and tensile strength. Because of its lightness and other desirable physical properties, duralumin is widely used in the aircraft industry. ]

The airship’s six engines, which powered an array of six propellers, one at the back of each gondola, and two suspended directly beneath the hull, afforded a maximum speed of 63mph. Direction was controlled by cables which ran from the forward gondola to movable rudders and elevators attached to the ends of the four tail-fins. A triumph of German engineering, at almost 200m long and 24m across, L31 was bigger than a battleship.

The crew of an airship were all volunteers. Around 20 in total, half were machinists serving the engines, which required constant maintenance and occasional in-flight repairs. Though warmed by the engines during the long hours of flight, the machinists were assailed by a head-splitting roar and an asphyxiating mix of oil and exhaust fumes.

In the control car, on the other hand, the commander, the executive officer, the navigator, two petty officers operating rudders and elevators, and two more working in the soundproof wireless compartment, all endured extremes of cold. Even in summer, temperatures could sink below -25°C. At high altitudes, airship crew wore thick woollen underwear, blue naval uniforms, leather overalls, fur overcoats, scarves, goggles, leather helmets, thick gloves of leather and wool, and large felt overshoes covering their boots. They were sustained by generous rations of bread, sausage, stew, chocolate, and thermos flasks of strong coffee. Thus did the pioneers of military aviation enter the strange new combat zone of the upper skies.

The technology was unreliable and the risks were high. The wartime casualty rate among German airship crew was 40% and two and a half miles up, there were special terrors not faced by men on the ground. There was nowhere to run, no way of escape; one lived or died as the machine flew or crashed. Men perished in the airships because engines failed, or storms blew up, or commanders simply lost their way and ran out of fuel.

Above all, airship crew feared being set on fire, either in the air or trapped in a tangle of flaming wreckage on the ground. In the mess-rooms, they debated whether or not, if their airship was shot down, to jump at the last minute. The impact of those who did sometimes left macabre imprints in the ground.

British Air Defences

The defences around London – searchlights, anti-aircraft guns, and home-defence fighter squadrons – had thickened alarmingly. Individually, neither guns nor planes were a serious threat. It was estimated after the war that only one in 8,000 of the anti-aircraft shells fired scored a hit, and that around 90% of home-defence pilots never so much as saw their enemy. But en masse, a network of lights, guns and planes, if sufficiently dense, could create a zone of lethal danger over the British capital.

By the early autumn of 1916, such a system was in place. Rings of lights and guns were activated without hesitation and at long range. Once enemy raiders were spotted, they were liable, on a clear night, to be held in a pyramid of light-rays and targeted by numerous 3-inch quick-firing anti-aircraft guns, some in fixed positions, others moved around on lorries. Firing 15 rounds a minute to a maximum vertical range of 18,000 feet, the guns were able to fill the sky with enough bursting shrapnel to keep the raiders hovering on the fringes of the capital – the killing zone of the British fighters.

The staple of the home-defence squadrons was the BE2c biplane. Its main advantage was exceptional stability, which made it especially suitable for the hazardous landings of night-flying missions. But it was painfully slow: maximum speed was under 75mph, and it took more than half an hour to climb to its ceiling of 10,000 feet. There was therefore only one effective way to operate. At each station, the on-duty pilot would wait by his machine for an air-raid warning and the order to scramble. He would then ascend onto a regular patrol line for his three-hour stint in the air. If, however, he sighted an enemy raider, his standing orders were to pursue and attack.

The British had already developed a distinctive air-war doctrine: air supremacy – and thereby security from aerial observation and bombardment – was to be achieved by relentless efforts to locate and destroy enemy aircraft. The British fighters were hunter-killers. The handful of young officer-pilots who flew them – riding alone in open cockpits into the freezing night air – formed the deadly cutting-edge of a home-defence system that now employed 17,000 men.

As the Zeppelins hummed towards Britain, remote listening stations picked up their radio messages, and patrol ships and coastal observation-posts watched for them in the sky. Early warnings were phoned to Room 40 at the Admiralty in London, and from there the message went out ‘Take air raid action’. Lights snapped on, guns were made ready, and aircraft at a dozen airfields coughed into life and were sent bumping across the grass for take-off.

Despite the danger, Heinrich Mathy in L31 remained determined to penetrate the defences and bomb the enemy capital. After making landfall near Lowestoft at 2100, he headed south-west for London. But the threat of converging searchlights caused him to sheer away northwards again at around 2245.

Only now were the home-defence pilots getting onto their patrol lines. Mathy circled for a time, then throttled his engines and attempted to cross the northern gun defences by drifting silently with the wind, hoping to remain undetected. But when he reopened his engines at 0030, lights and guns burst into life, and the commotion attracted the attention of the fighters, now prowling for prey along the furthest edges of the capital. Second Lieutenant V Tempest saw a small cigar-shaped object illuminated by a pyramid of seachlights and bracketed by exploding shrapnel: Mathy’s Zeppelin. As the BE2c fighter raced towards it, L31 turned sharply away, jettisoned its bombs, and began climbing steeply. Mathy was not fast enough. Though forced to hand-operate a broken fuel-pump, Tempest closed the gap and dived on the rising airship. Two miles up in the blackness of the night, a new kind of combat was fought, as a tiny single-manned aeroplane of wood, fabric and glue, its only armament a light machine-gun, sped towards a giant of the air 25 times bigger. Tempest fired first as he dived, then again as he flew beneath the monster. No effect. He next banked his plane and came in once more beneath the tail. Flying under the airship’s hull, he opened fire for the third time, raking the length of it with bullets. At first he despaired when again nothing seemed to happen, and then ‘I saw her begin to go red inside like an enormous Chinese lantern.’

That autumn, the British pilots deployed a new weapon. No longer dependent on dropping bombs or explosive darts over the side, nor on the standard machine-gun ammunition that appeared to have no effect whatever on the giant gas-bags, the home-defence squadrons now filled their ammunition belts with a mixture of tracer and newly-designed explosive and incendiary bullets. The idea was to blow a hole in the fabric of an airship and then ignite the escaping hydrogen as it mixed with air. The new weapon had claimed three airships in a month. Now it claimed a fourth.

Mathy’s Zeppelin shot 200 feet upwards, hung in the air for a moment, and then began to fall. Gas cells exploded into incandescent fireballs. Sheets of envelope fabric were ripped off and blasted into the night sky. Flames streaked up the sides and the airship became an immense torch, glowing orange, yellow and white, hissing and roaring as it plunged earthwards.

Tempest only narrowly escaped the inferno. He was forced to nosedive, put his machine into a spin, and corkscrew his way clear. It left him feeling sick and disoriented. When he eventually picked out the night flares of an airfield runway, he misjudged his height in the fog and crashed, losing his undercarriage and clunking his head on the butt of his Lewis gun. He was lucky to suffer nothing worse than a cut and a headache; landing crashes accounted for most of the 28 fighter pilots killed in the air war over Britain.

The remains of L31 landed in a field at Potters Bar, about 10 miles north of London. All the crew were killed, most of them burnt in the wreckage, though one had jumped and was found half-embedded in the soil, apparently still breathing when first seen: the German airship-ace himself.

The disaster had been witnessed across London the night before. Spontaneous cheering and applause had filled the streets. Now huge crowds gathered at the wreck site to bear witness to the British victory. Three of the new super-Zeppelins, each commanded by a veteran captain, had been shot down. It was the turning-point in the air war: the British had defeated the world’s first strategic bombing campaign.

1st October 1916 Zeppelin raid on London  The next raid came on the 1st of October 1916. Eleven Zeppelins were launched at targets in the Midlands and at London. As usual weather played a major role and only L 31 under the experienced Heinrich Mathy, on his 15th raid, reached London. Approaching from Suffolk, L 31 was picked up by the searchlights at Kelvedon Hatch around 2145, turning away, the airship detoured over Harlow, Stevenage and Hatfield. As the airship neared Cheshunt at about 2320 the airship was quickly picked up by six searchlights. Three aircraft of No. 39 Squadron were in the air and closed in on L 31. A BE2c piloted by 2nd lieutenant Wulstan Tempest engaged the Zeppelin at around 2350. Three bursts were sufficient to set fire to L 31, and it crashed near Potters Bar with all 19 crew dying, Mathy jumping from the burning airship. His body was found near the wreckage, embedded some four inches in the ground. Tempest had had to dive out of the way of the stricken airship and, possibly suffering from anoxia, crashed without injury on landing.

"The Zeppelin was now nearly 15,000 feet high and mounting rapidly….[I] dived straight at her, firing a burst straight into her as I came. I let her have another burst as I passed under her and then banking my machine over, sat under her tail, and flying along underneath her, pumped lead into her …As I was firing, I noticed her begin to go red inside like an enormous Chinese lantern and then a flame shot out of the front part of her and I realized she was on fire. She then shot up about 200 feet, paused, and came roaring down straight on to me before I had time to get out of the way. I nose-dived for all I was worth… and just managed to corkscrew out of the way as she shot past me, roaring like a furnace." Second Lieutenant W. Tempest.

"The Zeppelin drifted perpendicularly in the darkened sky. A gigantic pyramid of flames, red and orange, like a ruined star falling slowly to earth. Its glare lit up the streets and gave a ruddy tint even to the waters of the Thames. The spectacle lasted two or three minutes. It was so horribly fascinating that I felt spellbound , almost suffocated with emotion, ready hysterically to laugh or dry. When at last the doomed airship vanished from sight there arose a shout the like of which I never heard in London before — a hoarse shout of mingled execration, triumph and joy. It was London’s Te Deum for another crowning deliverance. Four Zeppelins destroyed in a month!" Journalist, Michael MacDonagh, who watched the spectacle from Blackfriars Bridge. The next morning, MacDonagh’s editor sent him to Potters Bar, where in heavy rain, he located the crash site: "One body was found in the field some distance from the wreckage. He must have jumped from the doomed airship from a considerable height. So great was the force with which he struck the ground that I saw the imprint of his body clearly defined in the stubbly grass. There was around hole for the head, then deep impressions of the trunk, with outstretched arms, and finally the widely separated legs. Life was in him when he was picked up, but the spark soon went out. He was, in fact, the Commander, who had been in one of the gondolas hanging from the airship."

If you can provide any additional information, please add it here.

Want to know more about Zeppelin LZ72 (L31)?

There are:6 articles tagged Zeppelin LZ72 (L31) available in our Library

Those known to have served with

Zeppelin LZ72 (L31)

during the Great War 1914-1918.

    The names on this list have been submitted by relatives, friends, neighbours and others who wish to remember them, if you have any names to add or any recollections or photos of those listed, please Add a Name to this List

    The 1st of September 2017 is The Wartime Memories Project's 18th Birthday. If you would like to send us a present, a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web.

    Looking for help with Family History Research?   

    Please see Family History FAQ's

    We are unable to provide individual research free of charge, but do offer a paid service at competitive rates, the small profit from these services will be put towards the costs of keeping this website running. For more information please see our Research Services Leaflet

    Can you help?

    The Wartime Memories Project is run by volunteers and this website is funded by donations from our visitors.

    If the information here has been helpful or you have enjoyed reaching the stories please conside making a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web. In these difficult times current donations are falling far short of this target.

    If you enjoy this site please consider making a donation.


    • The Wartime Memories Project is the original WW1 and WW2 commemoration website

      This website has been running for 18 years and receives in excess of a million hits per month. The website and our group will continue long after the 2014-18 events are over. We hope that people will continue to support us by submitting material and stories in addition to submitting to the new websites set up for the anniversary.

    • We are looking for volunteers to help with researching the activities of units of the Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers, Territorial Force, Regular Army, Pals Battalions, Kitchener's New Armies, Voluntary Organisations and the Ships of the Royal Navy. We currently have a huge backlog of stories and historical documents which need to be edited or transcribed for display online, if you have a good standard of written English, an interest in the two World Wars and a little time to spare online we would appreciate your help. For more information please see our page on Volunteering.

    Wanted: Digital copies of Group photographs, Scrapbooks, Autograph books, photo albums, newspaper clippings, letters, postcards and ephemera relating to the Great War. If you have any unwanted photographs, documents or items from the First or Second World War, please do not destroy them. The Wartime Memories Project will give them a good home and ensure that they are used for educational purposes. Please get in touch for the postal address, do not sent them to our PO Box as packages are not accepted.

    We are now on Facebook. Like this page to receive our updates, add a comment or ask a question.

    If you have a general question please post it on our Facebook page.

    Sep 2017

        Please note we currently have a backlog of submitted material, our volunteers are working through this as quickly as possible and all names, stories and photos will be added to the site. If you have already submitted a story to the site and your UID reference number is higher than 235634 your submission is still in the queue, please do not resubmit without contacting us first.

    World War 1 One ww1 wwII greatwar great
    Did you know? We also have a section on World War Two. and a Timecapsule to preserve stories from other conflicts for future generations.

    Want to know more about Zeppelin LZ72 (L31)?

    There are:6 articles tagged Zeppelin LZ72 (L31) available in our Library

    Recomended Reading.

    Available at discounted prices.


      Suggest a link

      The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.

      This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors. The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.

      If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small to help with the costs of keeping the site running.

      Hosted by:

      The Wartime Memories Project Website

      is archived for preservation by the British Library

      Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
      - All Rights Reserved