If you enjoy this site please consider making a donation.
Add Stories & Photos
Day by Day
War in the Air
Prisoners of War
The War at Sea
Training for War
Those Who Served
Women at War
Life on Home Front
Central Powers Army
Central Powers' Navy
World War Two
Add Stories & Photos
Help & FAQ's
Our Facebook Page
Great War Books
The Great War 1914-1918
The Wartime Memories Project is the original
WW1 and WW2 commemoration website
The 1st of September 2017 is The Wartime Memories Project's 18th Birthday. If you would like to send us a present, a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web.This website has been running for 18 years and receives in excess of 5 million hits per month. The website and our group will continue long after the 2014-18 events are over. We hope that people will continue to support us by submitting material and stories in addition to submitting to the new websites set up for the anniversary.
Want to find out more about your relative's service? Search Military Records
- New: In response to many requests, we have just launched a timecapsule to preserve Stories from Other Conflicts
- 1st September 2017 is our 18th Birthday. If you would like to send us a present, a donation, no matter how small, would be much appreciated, annually we need to raise enough funds to pay for our web hosting or this site will vanish from the web.
- Do you have an interest in a specific Battalion, Ship, Squadron or Voluntary Organisation during the Great War? Perhaps your relative served and you would like to find out more? The Wartime Memories Project are looking for volunteers to help with researching the activities of units of the Territorial Force, Regular Army, Pals Battalions, Kitchener's New Armies, Voluntary Organisations and the Ships of the Royal Navy to assist with the development of our Great War Centenary Commemorations, which will center around helping others to learn more about their own families and communities during the war. If you would be interested in helping with some research, please register on our Volunteers Page.
- Please note we currently have a large backlog of submitted material, our volunteers are working through this as quickly as possible and all names, stories and photos will be added to the site.
Stories of the Great War
The aim of this website is to share stories, photographs and documents relating to the Great War of 1914 to 1918. The website was begun in 1999 and will always be a work in progress. All the entries have been submitted by the family and friends of those who served, if your relative is not listed, please complete this form so that they can be added to the site.
Please select from the following sections:
- Day by Day
- Those Who Served In alphabetical order by surname.
- Training for War
- Allied Army
- Central Powers Army
- War in the Air
- Prisoners of War
- The Royal Navy
- Central Powers' Navy
- Civilian Service and Voluntary Organisations
- Civilian Life
- Life on Home Front
- Help and Family History FAQ's
Did you know? We also have a section about World War Two. and a Timecapsule to preserve stories from other conflicts for future generations.
Celebrate your own Family History
Did your relative live through the Great War, serve in the forces or on the home front? Do you have any photos, newspaper clippings, postcards or letters from that period? Have you researched the names on your local or war memorial?
Do you know the location of a Great War "Roll of Honour?"
We are very keen to track down these often forgotten documents and obtain photographs and transcriptions of the names recorded so that they will be available for all to remember.
Help us to build a database of information on those who served both at home and abroad so that future generations may learn of their sacrifice.
Celebrate your own Family History
Celebrate by honouring members of your family who served in the Great War both in the forces and at home. We love to hear about the soldiers, but also remember the many who served in support roles, nurses, doctors, land army, muntions workers etc.
Please use our Family History resources to find out more about your relatives. Then please send in a short article, with a photo if possible, so that they can be remembered on these pages.
Our website is currently undergoing a major revamp to improve your enjoyment.
Please accept our appologies for any transient error messages and broken links, our volunteers are working hard to transfer the data from the old server to the new one.
If you would like to become a volunteer we would love to hear from you. Click here to find out more.
90th Anniversary of the Battle of the Somme
Thiepval Wood 90 Years on
This DVD follows the Community Archeology Project, undertaken by The Somme Association and No Man's Land, The European Group for Great War Archaeology.
You can order a copy on-line by clicking the image below:
The Wartime Memories Project is a non profit organisation run by volunteers.
This website is paid for out of our own pockets, library subscriptions and from donations made by visitors. The popularity of the site means that it is far exceeding available resources.
If you are enjoying the site, please consider making a donation, however small to help with the costs of keeping the site running.
Website © Copyright MCMXCIX - MMXVII
- All Rights Reserved